Friday, October 17, 2008

Sammy stinks and so does life sometimes

So I'll be back to really type up what I was going to say. P-U stinky butt.

That's better. He's taking a nap now.

I just kind of feel like I need to talk about this week. Monday morning I got a call from David at work with this news LINK. I didn't know these boys and neither did David, but as discussed in the article a little, it's been really rough on the kids at this school that are quickly becoming like family to us. There are a lot of details that David has shared with me that are not in the article that are just heartbreaking. The girl alluded to in the article is one of my kids' new favorite people, one of those really awesome teenagers who just loves and plays with them from the start - she and her grandmother were next coming down the road and she tried to help them, but couldn't, so she ended up having to stand back watching, along with rescue workers who could not get close enough to help. My heart just hurts for her. The boys and their mom already lost their dad/husband in an accident a couple of years ago. I can't even imagine losing everything like that.

Through this week, I am so very proud of David and his love and compassion for these kids. Every day has been hard, but this job is what he's meant to do. He will make and is making a difference in these kids' lives. They weren't quite sure that they wanted to like him because of the situation with the previous teacher, but they didn't know what they were in for. He's one of those teachers you don't forget.

The funeral is this afternoon and tonight is football. Life goes on and we'll be there. I'm hoping I can keep it together as I watch these brave kids.

1 comment:

J. Baxter said...

Wow. We lost two kids from our high school in a very similar accident around Christmas last year, and I work at the high school, so I can totally relate. The worst thing was watching one of the victim's younger brother try and deal with it.

Nice to hear from you, by the way! You'll have to stop by again some time:)